Based in Toronto, Canada
9 April, 2013
Nintendo Game Store - Switch
Steam - PC
PlayStation Store - PS4
Microsoft Store - Xbox One
Nintendo Game Store - WiiU
Xbox Games Store - Xbox 360
Steam - Mac / Linux
PlayStation Store - PS Vita
PlayStation Store - PS3
Set in and around a small village in Mexico, Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is an action-packed, 2D brawler/platformer that alternates between the worlds of the living and the dead. Inspired by Mexican folklore, players take control of a down-on-his luck wrestler named Juan Aguacate, as he fights through hordes of undead enemies and skeleton henchmen to stop the evil Carlos Calaca from gaining ultimate power by sacrificing the beautiful "El Presidente's Daughter”.
"Guacamelee!" was originally released for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita in April 2013 with cross-buy support. In June 2013 the first DLC was released "The Costume Pack" ($1.99USD) which included 3 news costumes that altered the player's skills. In July 2013 a 2nd DLC pack was released "El Diablo's Domain" ($2.99USD) that contained 17 trial stages, a new area entitled El Infierno, and three new costumes. "Guacamelee!: Gold" was the next version and was released on Steam in August 2013, included the previously released DLC, as well as Steam Workshop support, allowing players to create their own character skins using Adobe Flash and share them online. This version was later released for OS X and Linux in February 2014. Finally came "Guacamelee!: Super Turbo Championship Edition (STCE)" which added additional levels, bosses and powers in addition to previous DLC. This version was released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Xbox 360, and Wii U in July 2014. The game was an Xbox Games with Gold free title for subscribers in July 2014, and a PlayStation Plus free title for subscribers during May 2015. A Nintendo Switch version of Guacamelee! STCE was released on October 8th, 2018.
- Non-Stop Fighting Action. An extensive move list, advanced combo engine, and anti-gravity grabs.
- Multi-dimensional Platforming. Instantly swap between the Worlds of Living and Dead to outwit impossible terrain.
- Combat moves double as movement, uniting platforming and fighting in a way never seen before.
- Diverse detailed world containing lively towns, dark forests, flowery canals and fiery volcanoes.
- Drop in/out local co-operative play, featuring independent dimension swapping.
- Multiple boss characters (each with unique back stories), wide range of foes, and elite-class enemies.
- Spectacular player abilities: The Rooster Uppercut, Frog Slam, and “Intenso” turbo-combat mode.
- Colorful, vibrant costumes that change both player appearance and attributes.
- Leaderboards, support for multiple save slots, persistent cross-save-game costume unlocks.
- ... and of course chickens. Lots and lots of super turbo championship edition chickens.
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - Announce Trailer YouTube
Guacamelee! Gold (PC) Launch Trailer YouTube
Guacamelee! Launch Trailer YouTube
Guacamelee! Announce Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Excellence in Visual Art." Independent Games Festival. Guacamelee!. 2013.
- "Finalist" Indiecade. Guacamelee!. 2012.
- "Best of 2013 Winner: Playstation Vita." IGN. Guacamelee!. 2013.
- "Nominees for Destructoid's 2013 Game of the Year." Destructoid. Guacamelee!. 2013.
- "Best Platformer E3" GameTrailers. Guacamelee!. 2012.
- "Guacamelee isn’t only pretty to look at, it’s also a hell of a lot of fun to play."
- Colin Moriarty. 2013. GUACAMELEE! REVIEW [9/10], IGN
- "Everything about it is finely-tuned and dripping with polish..."
- Brad Gallaway. 2013. Guacamelee! Review [9/10], GameCritics
- "The team at Drinkbox has studied the greats, but they've forged their own path with a consistent, engaging art style, and meticulously perfected controls and level design."
- Philip Kollar. 2013. GUACAMELEE REVIEW: BACK FROM HELL [9/10], Polygon
- "Even if 2D platformers aren’t your thing, Guacamelee’s bound to have something for everyone, whether it’s the humor in the writing and world design, the great combat, or even the ability to transform into a chicken."
- Peter Brown. 2013. Guacamelee! Gold Edition Review [9/10], GameSpot
This is a link to the most recent Guacamelee! PressKit dropbox.com.
Guacamelee! Original Soundtrack
The thumping, colourful soundtrack to DrinkBox Studios’ hit 2013 game Guacamelee! combines the guitars and trumpets of its Mexican-inspired world with driving electronic beats -- the perfect music to suplex skeletons by. drinkbox.bandcamp.com.
A blog containing all our game updates. drinkboxstudios.com.
About Drinkbox Studios
Drinkbox Studios is an independent Toronto-based video game developer. Founded in 2008, Drinkbox is best known for the award winning Guacamelee! series, and the 2016 iPad Game of the Year Severed. Drinkbox Studios enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners, and cuddling in front of a warm fire. When playing Monopoly, Drinkbox usually wins first prize in a beauty contest.
More information on Drinkbox Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Dom Di Prisco
QA and Community Manager