Based in Toronto, Canada
April 26th, 2016
Take control of a one-armed warrior named Sasha, wielding a living sword on her journey through a nightmare world in search of her family. Swipe-based touch controls will let you solve puzzles, find secrets, and do battle with a host of disturbing monsters. As the journey goes on, you’ll unlock new abilities, ascend an RPG-style upgrade tree, and tease apart the mysteries of the dark fantasy universe Sasha finds herself in.
The genesis for Severed came about during an internal game jam and is considered an experimental undertaking by the studio.
- Dungeon Combat: Master offensive and defensive touch combat techniques to survive intense battles against a menagerie of enemies.
- Severing: Best enemies in combat for a chance at severing their body parts -- then wear them to gain new powers or consume them to upgrade your equipment and abilities.
- Exploration: Follow branching routes through the unknown, using your wits to avoid hazards and solve puzzles.
- Music: Original soundtrack from Juno-nominated band YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN featuring Pantayo.
Severed - Nintendo Switch Launch Trailer YouTube
Severed (PS Vita) - Release Date Announcement Trailer YouTube
Severed PlayStation Experience 2015 Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Severed Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Severed Announce Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IPad Game of the Year - Winner" Apple. 2016.
- "Best Handheld Game - Finalist" D.I.C.E. 2016.
- "Best Mobile/Handheld Game - Winner" Canadian Video Game Awards. 2016.
- "Best Mobile/Handheld Game - Finalist" The Game Awards. 2016.
- "Best Mobile Game - Winner" Destructoid. 2016.
- "Best Mobile Game - Finalist" IGN. 2016.
- "Indie Mega Booth Selectee" Indie Mega Booth. PaxEast. 2015.
- "Severed's first dungeon is a compelling, artful creation"
- Brian Crecente, Polygon
- "...Severed really shines when you enter an encounter, which is where the game implements some of the most intuitive, yet deepest use of touch-screen functionality that I’ve ever seen on a Vita."
- Marty Sliva, IGN
- "Severed is the most promising platform exclusive at this point in time, so if you’re a fan of everything weird and awesome about the independent development scene, you’d be doing yourself a disservice not keeping an eye on this touch-based game that, you know, doesn’t suck."
- Matt Whittaker, HardcoreGamer
- "I can tell that there are big things to come from this game, and can't wait to get my hands on the full release."
- Caitlin Cooke, Destructoid
This is a link to the most recent Severed PressKit drinkboxstudios.com.
Original soundtrack contributor facebook.com.
About DrinkBox Studios
DrinkBox Studios is an independent Toronto-based video game developer. We’re a pretty small team who makes the sort of games that we want to play, and, hopefully, a few other people like what we do.
More information on DrinkBox Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN
QA and Community Manager